Well it happened. Sophie turned 2 years old! We had a little party for her on Sunday before her birthday and invited our friends the Webb's over with their 8 week old baby Marshall, and we had the McCoy's with their 2.5 year old daughter Charlotte. Sophie and Charlotte have playdates together often.
Sophie was spoiled! I made her some "flower pot cupcakes in a cone," something quite unique I hadn't seen before. They turned out great! I also made her flower shaped sandwiches and we had fruit and cheese, all of Sophie's favorite foods.
Sophie had a stack of present to open! She took forever and was very delicate with the paper, I was getting quite restless and tried to hurry her through it. She got a Fur Real pet cat, hopscotch carpet game, a wagon, a foam letter floor puzzle, a little kitchen, some jewelery and of course, another ball. Our house is overflowing with a million bouncy balls.
THEN, on Wednesday, we drove up to Philadelphia and New Jersey. Cory had a speech conference in Philly and it happened to fall on Sophie's birthday so we decided to make a trip out of it, and stay at his Grammie's house in NJ. It takes 9 hours to get there, so we stopped half way in Virginia and ate at our favorite restaurant (that they don't have in NC), Famous Dave's, and stayed overnight in a hotel. Drove the rest of the way on Thursday driving straight into downtown Philly so Cory could go to his Speech conference. I was alone with Sophie for the afternoon in DOWNTOWN Philly so we went to the Academy of Natural Sciences to look around and let Sophie expel some energy. It was pretty cool, we saw dinosaur bones, mummies, animals and other cool stuff. It was a weird place though, 4 floors with certain elevators going to only certain floors, and I got lost a lot. We had to park in a parking garage a couple blocks away and we paid, get this, $27 for 3 hours. Can you believe it!!
When Cory was finished at the conference we drove an hour to his Grammie's house, in rush hour traffic. From Philly. Let's just say, I am NOT a big city gal. I HATE TRAFFIC. Cory's mom and dad drove down from Maine to visit with us and they arrived Thursday night. On Friday (Sophie's birthday) Cory went to his conference alone (I was NOT going to drive in downtown Philly again during rush hour!) and Sophie and I stayed and hung out with the in-laws (Rog and GQ) and Grammie all day. Friday night we had another little party for Sophie. Another cake and a mountain of presents!
On Saturday Rog, GQ, Cory, Sophie and I drove into Philly to sight-see. We went to a creepy museum of medical oddities called the Mutter Museum, then met Cory's aunt/uncle/cousin in South Philly to eat Philly Cheesesteaks at a popular restaurant called Lorenzo's in, like, the Little Italy part of town. Ha, I say restaurant, but what I meant was a dumpy, dirty, greasy, disease ridden dive the size of a closet, yet, was very popular. I was sure we would run into the Italian Mafia and they would steal my child, or at least shoot me for fun. Like I said, I am not a downtown big city type of gal. Call me a wuss, I don't care, I fully agree!
Anyway, on Sunday we drove home, all 9 hours straight, stopping only twice for diaper changes, peeing and gas. Sophie did well on the drive. It was a crazy trip, but it was fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment